I’m going to call you out. James, Graeme, Aidan, Pat, Wert, Liz & Mark, Larry, Gav and Mihai. There are more bloggers who I’ve missed out here (I am in a rush!) but that doesn’t mean I haven’t been watching…
Robert Holdstock is one of the finest writers in the fantasy genre. And he’s written a new book called Avilion, which is a Mythago Wood Cycle book. Last year I wrote about the first book in the cycle, called Mythago Wood. I’ve recently purchased Avilion, and will be reading it very soon, but although major newspapers have sung the praises of this novel, I’ve noticed too little coverage across the blogosphere. This is an online crime.
These are fantastic books, and here are some reasons why you, bloggers, should be reading Robert Holdstock’s Mythago Wood Cycle, and telling everyone about it.
1) His novels are meditation on the very nature of fantasy, and what it is to imagine.
2) He writes with such a delicate and sensitive prose.
3) Whereas China Miéville is the master of urban spaces, Robert Holdstock lords over the rural setting.
4) If you have an appreciation or interest in mythology, particularly celtic mythology, or indeed British culture, then you will love these books.
5) He’s criminally underrated.
6) He’s a lovely man.
So, who wants to give them a go?